City Escapes Europe Food & Drink Germany

Where to eat and drink – Bahnhofsviertel; Frankfurt: Germany

Bella & Rosa, Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Guten Tag Kaptain Kenny readers,

Today I present to you Frankfurt’s Red Light District or in German, Das Bahnhofsviertel. (The train station district.) This area is totally going through the process of gentrification right now and we happen to live right in the crux of it. This is your insider’s guide to the best 10 places to eat at and drink at in Frankfurt’s centre.

Below you will see 8 places you simply have to visit either to eat or drink at. These are places that you probably wouldn’t find if you were just here as a tourist. These are locally known, cool establishments which really will impress you.

• Bento Boutique – http://bento.boutique/ (Frankfurt’s best sushi owned by the nicest small-business owner on the planet! Her tuna and salmon will melt in your mouth like butter and the design of the place is trendy and cute too.)
  • Eat Doori – http://eatdoori.com/ (This would have to be my favourite Indian restaurant in town! It’s quite new but it’s always pumping with patrons and the vibe is great. High industrial ceilings, a huge space and noisy so you can bring a big group of people. The novelty of ordering your food and attaching the order with a clothes peg above your table is pretty cool!)
  • ABER – http://www.aber-frankfurt.de/ (Minimalistic design, small and intimate – the perfect place for a date night. I believe their menu changes from week to week and their food is really delicious!)
  • Bella & Rosa – http://www.bellaundrosa.de/ (A novelty/speciality organic grocery shop with coffee and bottled juices and smoothies available. Cool design, hidden location and something only locals would know about!)
  • Walon & Rosetti – http://walon-rosetti.com/ (Great place for after work drinks and there are lots of nice variations of gin. I’ve eaten there twice and both times I was very happy with the food. Go for the spinach and pine nut salad with sliced rump steak. YUM. You’ll probably need to make a reservation as it’s always pumping inside.)
  • **** Update: went here on the 6th of Sep 2016 & had a terrible experience with the waitress and food**** Maxie Eisen – http://maxieeisen.com/ (Soups, salads, pastrami sandwiches – this place is always full. They serve alcohol until late at night too and because it’s on the corner, people tend to flock here in summer when the nights are long.)
  • Chez Ima – http://www.imaworld.de/ (Definitely my go-to place when I have visitors in town or if I’m craving a good piece of steak! Nice vibe, great interior design and a good range of drinks too.)

Sadly I wasn’t able to photograph two other places in this area as they were closed while I was wandering around. However, they are also must-dos!

• Club Michel – http://clubmichel.com/ (This is a restaurant which never has the same food twice. It’s been set up in an apartment so it’s extremely cosy and a really great space. The staff are always friendly and the food is epic. As far as I know, you can only make a booking if you receive their weekly newsletter with the weekend’s menu. To get the newsletter, you need to sign up for it on their website. Bit of a process but totally worth it. We go almost monthly!)
  • Montana Pizza – http://www.montana-pizzeria.de/ (Brought to you by the same guys who do Fletcher’s Burgers. These pizzas are unreal. The Pacman oven was specially imported from Naples and all their ingredients are fresh. I really love the Parma ham, rocket and parmesan pizza.)

I walked into another bar called Plank which is a place I often go to with friends and asked a woman there if I could take some photos for this website. She rolled her eyes at me & as I didn’t feel too welcome, I walked out.

After showing you the must-sees in this area, I’m going to do another more general post on Frankfurt. There are so many other places in Frankfurt which are worth seeing  but these locations aren’t in the Bahnhofsviertel. (For your immediate reference, Sachsenhausen, Nordend, Westend and Bornheim are the most ‘popular/wealthy’ areas but in terms of creativity and value for money, the Bahnhofsviertel is certainly the new hip area.)

As usual, I hope you enjoy this series of photos. If you have any questions or comments, please get in touch – I respond to all messages!

Also it’s worth mentioning that after having lived here for many years, these are just my personal favourites. Of course there are many other great places which aren’t on this list & which I probably don’t know of. Why don’t you leave some of your personal favourites in the comments for me? 🙂

Click here to follow Kaptain Kenny on Instagram.

Tschuess 🙂

IMG_7973

Once you leave the main train station, head down Kaiser Strasse to check out the district. Take a right down Weser Strasse to head into the Turkish part of the Bahnhofsviertel. This is now where a lot of cool places have started popping up.

IMG_7947

Standing on Muenchner Strasse, you’ll get a feel for the international flavour of Frankfurt. So many amazing new restaurants and bars have started sprouting in this area. Gentrification has begun!

IMG_7975

This is our absolute favourite restaurant in the Bahnhofsviertel. Bento Sushi is owned by the most amazing gal called Thi and her sushi is by far the best in town. The tuna and salmon simply *melt* in your mouth…. just like butter.

IMG_7982

From the top floor of Bento Sushi.

IMG_7986

BENTO SUSHI: After eating upstairs, you’ll come downstairs to pay.

IMG_7934

Okay sometimes the Red Light District can be a bit derelict, given the junkies and prostitutes hanging around. BUT, if you actually look up every now and again, you’ll actually see some beautiful old German buildings circa 1900’s. We live in a building similar to this and the style is called “Altbau”.

Walon & Rosetti – Definitely a local’s favourite. Great food and amazing drinks. The bartenders put a lot of effort into their creations, especially the gin.

IMG_7943

EAT DOORI: This would have to be my favourite Indian restaurant in town! It’s quite new but it’s always pumping with patrons and the vibe is great.

IMG_7929

EAT DOORI: High industrial ceilings, a huge space, noisy so you can bring a big group of people and the novelty of ordering your food and attaching it above your table with a clothes peg is pretty cool!

IMG_7928

EAT DOORI: If you are in a small-large group, this is the perfect place to have dinner. It’s got a great atmosphere and the quality of the ingredients is really good. They have all types of Indian street food here.

IMG_7956

ABER is another new restaurant which I really, really like. At night time there’s something so sexy about the decor. It’s dark and the menu changes every week *I think*. Last time we went, we absolutely loved our mains and had a fantastic date night so it’s perfectly intimate for couples.

IMG_7948

Street graffiti.

IMG_7970

BELLA & ROSA: What a cool new gig in Frankfurt! I was already walking around the Bahnhofsviertel taking photos when I ran into a French friend of mine who literally knows about all new restaurants in Frankfurt. She told me this was a really nice new place and I wasn’t disappointed.

IMG_7963

BELLA& ROSA: This gal was so friendly, told me all about the new business and made me a killer coffee. Basically this little organic grocery shop is linked to the restaurant upstairs called  Club Michel and you’d be a FOOL to visit Frankfurt without heading there for dinner.

IMG_7965

BELLA & ROSA: Lots of nice organic products for sale here. She told me that a lot of these products are used upstairs in the other restaurant, Club Michel.

IMG_7967

BELLA & ROSA: Gorgeous coffee machine. I asked for an Espresso Macchiato and it was spicy and strong.

IMG_7966

BELLA & ROSA: Very nice concept and the layout is really inviting.

IMG_7969

BELLA & ROSA: Outside, they’re selling local and imported produce. (All organic)

IMG_7964

BELLA & ROSA

IMG_7946

A lot of Germans will tell you that Frankfurt is ugly and not worth visiting. That’s not true! If you don’t know where to go, of course you’ll think it’s a strange mix of traditional with skyscrapers and a few Soviet-era block housing thrown into the mix. If you have a local (like me) to show you where is cool, you will find yourself pleasantly surprised.

IMG_7972

Standing on the corner of Weser Strasse and Muenchner Strasse facing the famous pastrami sandwich deli “Maxie Eisen”. I’ve still not been here as I’m not a cold meat fan but I’m told it’s rather cool!

IMG_7938

MAXIE EISEN

IMG_7936

MAXIE EISEN

IMG_7987

CHEZ IMA: Now this is one place you’re definitely going to want to visit, especially if you are a lover of good steak. At night time, this place is amazingly lit and they have really great food. It’s a restaurant which is attached to the bottom of the Levi’s 25 Hour Hotel on Nidda Strasse.

IMG_7988

CHEZ IMA: Do yourself a favour and order the 180G fillet steak. It comes out raw on a hot plate and you cook it to your liking. Their sweet potato fries are yummy but they also have a LOT of other things to choose from, including delicious couscous and hummus sharing platters .

IMG_7990

CHEZ IMA: It can be very hard to get a table because it’s so popular so do try and book a table if you can!

IMG_7960

FLETCHER’S BURGERS: If you do one thing while in Frankfurt, it’s going to be grabbing a burger from here. They do extremely simple burgers but they do them really well. The quality of ingredients, homemade sauces and free extra toppings make it very good value. It’s half restaurant, half takeaway so feel free to grab your food and go if you’d prefer.

IMG_7935

Unpredictable weather…. always bring an umbrella when in Frankfurt! 🙂

IMG_7944

This is a little organic bakery on the corner. I’m trying to abstain from bread at the moment due to having lived in breadsville, I mean Germany for the last 5 years but if you’re in the mood for a good croissant, these people do them quite well.

IMG_7954

This is the street by the river. By default, any homes which line a river will be the nice ones so if you’re up for it, try walking along Frankfurt’s river to catch a view of some gorgeous homes.

You Might Also Like

40 Comments

Megan (@MeganCStarr)
    April 16, 2016 at 11:25 am

such a great list!!! i havent been to bento so this makes me want to check it out pronto!!!

bahnhofsviertel is actually my favorite area of the city. i do all of my shopping, and most of my eating around the area.

kaptainkennytravel
      April 16, 2016 at 11:29 am

Glad you enjoyed the read Megan – Bento is 100% amazing, tell her Phoebe sent you when you go 🙂

Elisa
    April 19, 2016 at 1:39 pm

These places arent visited by “the locals”. As a local, i live there for almost 18 years, i avoid these places. Its really expensive and everything looks fake to me. I’m not a huge fan of hipsters and not at all of gentrification! These places you are naming are very new and just try to be cool and hip. The Bahnhofsviertel is/was so unique. There are nice and crazy take aways in the Taunustraße and dont be afraid of the junkies. As long as you are nice to them and dont treat them like you are a better person than they are, they are usually very nice. In münchnerstraße are some very nice indian, asian and arabic food stores where you can find all sorts of food and its really cheap. If you are looking for something “fancy” you can check out the backyard near by the mosque in münchnerstraße. Sometimes they have a market there. And its way better than the one in the kaisterstraße.

kaptainkennytravel
      April 19, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Hey Elisa,
      Thanks for your message. I’ve lived in BHV for about 5 years and I see a lot of the same locals in these places which I posted. You’re absolutely right regarding the food in other locations too though. I personally love the Thai Imbiss on Taunusstr and the Indian takeaway guy on the corner…. Indigo I think it’s called is great too! I always get my “Doener” on Taunusstr too so I’m not immune to that part of the BHV. In terms of the junkies…. well I do live on Niddastr and they often do heroin in front of my door. I guess that’s part and parcel of the area but you’re right, so long as you don’t bother them, they don’t bother you 🙂
      I personally love what a little bit of gentrification brings an area and maybe I love these places because I’m a sucker for design and good coffee – I guess everyone has their own opinions about things 🙂

Lara
    April 19, 2016 at 2:48 pm

I really enjoyed reading about this great area of Frankfurt which is – in my opinion – completely unterestimated by a lot of people (locals as well as visitors). I can really recommend Club Michel, the atmosphere is so relaxing after a day of work and the food is even better, so try to go there as soon as you can 🙂 Another place popped into my mind while I read through your post: A place called Freitagsküche (http://freitagskueche.de/). As the name might tell you, it’s only open on Friday’s and has a great and unique concept. Greets, Lara

kaptainkennytravel
      April 19, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Hey Lara!

Thanks for your message. See, this is why I love people to comment because I can find out about new places too. I’ve never heard of Freitagskueche but will definitely head over *on Friday* and check it out 🙂

Club Michel is definitely one of my fav places in this area – in fact, I have some friends visiting this weekend and I think I might try to book us in there.

Cheers,
      Phoebe

• Alex
        April 20, 2016 at 5:20 am

The time when Freitagsküche was only open on friday is long ago and dates back to the original concept which was closely linked to the artists of Städelschule (http://www.zeit.de/2010/52/WMIH-Freitagskueche). Since Freitagsküche moved to Mainzer Landstrasse, you can eat there every day.

• kaptainkennytravel
        April 20, 2016 at 5:21 am

Do you need a reservation? Or can you just come and get a table? Which location do you prefer?

Laura Chan
    April 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm

There is this new speakeasy that is open for pop-up events also located in Banhhofsviertel. You should check it out! Food is yummy, they have interesting pop-up event concepts, and the deco is cool. Right now, it is still a hush hush place, but I already see that it gets quite difficult to book for a seat on their pop-up events. The place is called Makan e.V at Moselstrasse 25, 1st floor. You can follow them on http://www.facebook.com/makanev

kaptainkennytravel
      April 19, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Laura that’s an amazing insider’s tip and definitely something I’ll be checking out! Thanks a lot 🙂
      This area is pumping with life and cool things to do.

Verena
    April 20, 2016 at 10:40 am

Why would you bash on the people living and staying in the Bahnhofsviertel??
    Whether its the prostitutes, junkies or homeless: they were there before you!
    That is all part of the charme. If an original, local feel is what you are looking for: feel welcome! They are all individuals like you and me and all of them deserve a place to stay! If you want a ‘clean, hip and nice, warm and cosy place that give you a mushy feeling: go to the Westend and get lost!!

P.S. please don’t bring your fancy banker friends..

Megan (@MeganCStarr)
      April 20, 2016 at 7:33 pm

On what world do you live in that you feel that you can state that prostitutes, junkies, and homeless people add to the ‘charm’ of an area? That is someone’s family member. The fact that you think it is all part of the Bahnhofsviertel’s charm is pretty appalling and quite frankly, scares me for this modern society.

P.S. I am pretty sure any of my banker friends would agree with me.

• Verena
        April 21, 2016 at 8:43 am

Hi Megan,

thank you for your considerate reply.
        Sorry that I’m laughing but quite frankly I think it’s funny that you state that you are scared of me because it is you and the cliché of the person you represent that scares the shit out of me.
        You discover and hype a ‘hip’ district based on the fact that it feels authentic, is filled with life that students who live there provide due to the fact that they can’t afford any other district-rent. The ‘authenticness’ is created by people who live and stay there, respect and tolerate each other, despite their social background or the financial state they are in.
        I never mend to glorify the lifes hat the prostitutes or junkies lead. They are the way they are and you can try to provide help and support but there are always going to be people living a more difficult life then you and me and they deserve a place to stay and to be tolerated. What makes the Bahnhofsviertel great is that there are so many different people living, parting, working and going out there. It always has been. Its dirty, its far away from perfect and yes there are people with drug problems and other issues that you would love to look away from or at least ‘get them out of your hip and beloved quarter’.
        But where are they supposed to go?
        To the Gallus viertel? – oh wait – in two years time thats the next hip place you and your friends will want to go..
        Just wanted to clear that up.

j
    April 20, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Good job guys!

Megan (@MeganCStarr)
    April 21, 2016 at 9:03 am

@ Verena

I am so confused … I think your Google Translate may not be working? I stated nothing that had to do with relocating junkies to other parts of the city. I had a comment based on your mentioning that junkies and prostitutes add to the ‘charm’ of a place. I just have never met anyone who thinks sex trafficking and drugs add to the charm of a place and I found it a bit disturbing.

For your information, my favorite places to eat in Bahnhofsviertel are: Ganesha Asia Call Food (South Indian and Sri Lankan), Selera (Malaysian), African Queen (ok technically this Eritrean place is located in Gutleut area, but still), Nollywood (Nigerian and kind of Gutleut but close by), Pattaya Thai Imbiss, Saravana Bhavan (vegetarian South Indian), Lam Freres (Vietnamese), Jade (Chinese), etc. I do most of my shopping at Spicelands, Alim’s, and Gutleut Asia Market (Kaiserstr). I also like Feinkost Paradis at the Kaisterstr Market. I know bar owners at the sketchy Braz (Ipenema Bar) and Aventura Pub. I love the international vibe of the area and I am sorry you’re anti-hipster, but I think you’re missing the point on some things. Great businesses will continue to be great. New ones will move in. Some ‘hipsterish’ and some not. The junkies and prostitutes are still there. I see them daily. They haven’t moved on to a new location so I am confused about how a new coffee place, supper club, speakeasy, or restaurant is going to automatically be the cause of them being chased away. I know, traditionally, the junkies get moved from one area to another in Frankfurt. But maybe that isn’t a new business’ fault but rather the way the city is viewing these people. You mentioned you found them, their business of sex trafficking and drugs, charming. You’re the first person who I’ve ever heard make such a brash statement.

If someone has a brilliant idea for a business, why shouldn’t they be allowed to open? Because they are not some traditional schnitzel and apfelwein place? The world needs innovation and ingenuity. It scares me when people are scared of change. During Soviet times, entrepreneurship was illegal (so basically, in one part of this country, that kind of shit existed). Seeing as that is relevant history to this country, shouldn’t we encourage and embrace entrepreneurship and ideas and rather than shun them? And shouldn’t we value other people’s opinions as much as we value our own? And if we are going to take the time to comment on a blog post, maybe we could be a little nicer and offer some ideas instead of negativity. I know negativity is what makes Germany go round, but for once in a while, let’s try to make someone’s day instead of ruin it.

Nevertheless, I’m heading on vacation (to Morocco because I’m not scared of other nationalities and embrace diversity, of course) so I am no longer going to reply to any of your comments here. Let’s try to make being open-minded our goal for 2016.

Sara
    May 9, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this blog! Like you, I also moved to Frankfurt for love, and since I am very new here (and my German is still a work in progress), having all this info in English has helped…big time!

kaptainkennytravel
      May 9, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Oh that’s amazing to read Sara!! Glad to here it’s helped 🙂 Where are you from?

Christie @ A Sausage Has Two
    May 10, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Hello from down the road in Wiesbaden 🙂 I’ve visited Frankfurt an embarrassingly small number of times given I’ve lived here 6 years, so I can’t profess to knowing the restaurant scene at all… but I’d totally get on the train just to go and eat at Selera – best beef rendang I’ve had outside Malaysia! Very happy to have found your blog, am always after local food tips 🙂

kaptainkennytravel
      May 13, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Thanks Christie!! Happy to have you as a reader 🙂 I’ll definitely look up your recommendation too as I haven’t heard of it before now. Have a great day!

pumpkinplum
    May 25, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Great write up! I am visiting soon and really looking forward to it. 😀

kaptainkennytravel
      May 25, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I’m sure it took a long time to read, sorry about that – I tried to condense the info, I swear 😬😬 you will enjoy yourself! It’s a crazy and cool place indeed. Will you be in a group or solo?

• pumpkinplum
        May 25, 2016 at 10:03 pm

It’s hard to condense when so much to say. Going as a group of 3 for a long weekend. Could you recommend any good central gin/cocktail bars?

• kaptainkennytravel
        May 25, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I don’t think I saw gin at all to be honest – because rum is the national export product, most drinks are rum related. It could have been available but I always had my eyes open for the Havana Rum stuff 🙂 Which city?

• pumpkinplum
        May 25, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Sorry, commenting on your Frankfurt post.

• kaptainkennytravel
        May 25, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Goodness me! I’m daft sometimes – yessssss so many places in ffm for amazing gin! Let me ask my bf for his recommendation because he found a great place recently. I’ll get back to you!

• kaptainkennytravel
        May 27, 2016 at 10:07 am

Heya! So my boyfriend said Chaplin is a good bar with good gin 🙂

• pumpkinplum
        May 27, 2016 at 11:16 am

Great, thanks for the suggestion!

AmiGirl_FFM
    June 2, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Great post! You’ve listed most of my favorites for hip, new places in the city!

@Pumpkinplum
    If you long weekend is still ahead of you, you should try a new place opening in Bahnhofsviertel: Jambo Bar (Elbestrasse 20) – they just open this weekend and are doing Kenyan street food and 50 different kinds of gin! (Chaplin has a good selection, but it’s a smoking bar – just to warn you in case that’s an issue)
    Also good for gin – look up Naiv or Logenhaus.

kaptainkennytravel
      June 2, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Thanks a lot! What about Parlour too? I’ve heard that’s a lovely bar although I’ve never been. It’s also a smoking bar but apparently it has some crazy exhaust fan which lifts the smoke directly before it goes anywhere near you. They are said to have some of Germany’s best barkeepers too! Another bar worth mentioning is Kinley in the BHV. Amazing drinks, speciality gins, homemade tonic etc and it’s a cool location. Kind of in the middle of the crazy BHV with a black door to knock on. Then you go down the stairs to another world!

• AmiGirl_FFM
        June 2, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Oh yeah – the Parlour is great! Some nights can be a bit smokey, but they do have pretty good ventilation.
        My favorite cocktail I’ve had there so far was Corn and Oil. Perfect place to tell the bartender what kind of flavors you like and let them surprise you.
        Kinley is worth a try, but tiny so it’s hot or miss if you have along wait after ringing the bell. Fun and friendly bartenders though!

• kaptainkennytravel
        June 3, 2016 at 10:09 am

You seem like a girl who knows her stuff! 🙂

Pindu
    June 18, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Nice! Thanks! Went to Maxie Eisen Wednesday evening. The waiter threw the menu on the table without a word. That was it for us! Such a bad experience without trying anythig 🙁

kaptainkennytravel
      June 19, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Hey Pindu!

What a disappointment that must have been for you :*( Did you guys manage to have a good night anyway? Sometimes the Bahnhofsviertel can be soooo pretentious 🙁

Marvin
    August 28, 2016 at 5:21 am

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I am happy that you shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

kaptainkennytravel
      August 30, 2016 at 11:41 am

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your comment. How did you come across the FFM Bahnhofsviertel post? I’m amazed that so many people keep finding it 🙂

Cheers,
      Phoebe

VIF: A Frankfurt Insider’s Tip – Kaptain Kenny Travel
    February 26, 2017 at 9:26 pm

[…] Frankfurt’s Red Light District is indeed worlds apart from the tourist trap of Amsterdam’s R.L district. It’s not an area I would recommend staying in per se but there are countless new speakeasy bars, cafes and restaurants in the area. For proof of this, just click on my most popular ever: Where to eat and drink – Bahnhofsviertel; Frankfurt: Germany. […]

illbehomesoon
    April 29, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Nice post. I’ll look forward to checking out the Sushi place soon.

Have you ever been to Der Fette Buelle on Kaiserstraße?

It’s honestly great. Best burger i’ve eaten in Frankfurt (better than Fletcher’s, Jamy’s Die Kuh die Lacht… all of the other comparable joints i’ve eaten at!)

It makes a really good place for a date or a group meal, its always buzzing in the evening and has some novel specials (my favourite is a bacon-y avocado burger!)

Keep up the great work!

The nice side of Frankfurt am Main: Germany – Kaptain Kenny Travel
    May 21, 2017 at 6:40 pm

[…] plenty of options for places to eat and drink at. This list seems to be growing by the second. See this blog for some options in the […]