***Please note*** the Kaptain Kenny Collab Camp has now already taken place. It went very well and you can read a little bit about it here: Where to Stay in Split: Luxury Villa in Croatia
Stay tuned for more as I’m planning to have another in August or September!
About six months ago, a really lovely Instagrammer by the name of Belinda (@misswanderingbelle) reached out to me and came up with a brilliant idea.
She suggested I start the hashtag #teamkaptainkenny as she noticed I am a big believer in the help and support of others when it comes to travel photography and blogging. The hashtag has since become a place of genuine engagement, authenticity and positivity.
Fast forward six months later and #teamkaptainkenny now has nearly 20 000 photos tagged. It’s astounding and I want to say thank you!
I am organising the first #teamkaptainkenny retreat in Croatia!
The Bohoho, Solin, Croatia (about a 20-minute drive from Split airport)
In May (dates still TBC)
You will stay in the villa for 4 full days
Purpose of the trip
- Content creation
- Social media and blogging help
- Industry Support
- Learning from others / sharing your tips and knowledge / being supportive
- Photography editing
- Relaxation, poolside drinks and hopefully lots of sun!
Will participation in the retreat cost me any money?
Nope! You will not be charged any money for your participation in this retreat. As I mentioned above, this is a celebration and a thank you event for all the people who have helped to make #teamkaptainkenny successful. Luckily I have secured our (usually €500 per night) villa for free but you will have other costs to consider.
What other costs will I have then?
- Your return flight to and from Split
- Taxis/Ubers to get around (i.e. to and from the airport, to and from Split for day trips etc.) I was advised that a taxi from the airport to the house will be about 40 euros, and an Uber should be a little cheaper. An Uber from the villa to the centre of Split should be no more than 10 euros for a car with 4 people. This journey is about 20 mins.
Any other freebies?
I’ve been chatting with the people at Visit Split and they’ve guaranteed a group dinner for us in Split and a Split walking tour with a private guide. In exchange, we will offer them:
- Mentions of these activities and businesses across our own social media channels
- Mention of this in our final blog post
What are my obligations?
- First of all, Dani at The Bohoho has very generously given us her villa free of charge for this retreat. This means we kinda owe her big time! I will be selecting 7 members with varied skills so that together, we can come up with loads of content which will get Dani’s Instagram page started & lookin’ smokin! I will create a joint DropBox account where each participant will have their own folder with content to deliver.
- You may be asked to prepare something about your area of expertise or at least be ready to help the others if they ask.
- The last day will be kept free for photo editing and writing. We will each take our own time to write a blog post about the trip. To ensure that everyone has time to grow and learn, you will be given a buddy who will critique your work and give you some helpful hints.
Who can apply?
This is a learning and travel industry retreat. This means that I will be selecting people with particular skills which the group can really benefit from. The number of followers/readers you have is not the most important factor, but the quality of your work and knowledge is very important!
Please apply if you have knowledge in any of the following areas
- Videography/ability to create a trip video
- You have a drone and can create travel footage (*important*)
- Writing & storytelling
- Marketing / Influencer experience and general experience ‘sending pitches / selling yourself’
- SEO / Google
It will also be best if you have a) a travel IG account b) a FB / Pinterest page and c) a website/ blog with your writing and images.
How Do I apply?
Easy! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell me the following information.
- Who are you and where are you from?
- What’s your travel story?
- What channels/brand do you run?
- What are your numbers/statistics?
- What special skills do you have?
- Are you prepared to cover the costs mentioned above?
- How many photos have you already tagged with #teamkaptainkenny?
- Where would you be flying from?
- Have you already checked flight prices from your hometown to Split in May? Are you prepared to cover that yourself?
- Will you be able to create and share content for The Bohoho to use in its new Instagram account? (Creators will always be tagged and mentioned as the rightful owners of the work.)
- Will you be able to create content on your own channels during the trip & be open to writing a blog post about this experience on the final day?
- Are you okay to share a bed/bedroom with your new buddy? (There are four bedrooms with four large beds in total.)
Once I have a fair idea of who is coming, when most people are available and exactly what skills people will be bringing to the table, I will create a rough itinerary for the event. Happy applying!
FidelApril 2, 2018 at 3:59 pm
This is so awesome Phoebe. Congrats and kudos to you. I am very happy to see that this retreat is being given for free. Shows exactly who you are and what you believe in!!! Wish I could apply to join.
kaptainkennytravelApril 2, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Oh Fidel! You are so good to me!! I’m interested to see how this one turns out. Maybe there’ll be more in the future 🙂
Sure you can’t stop by?
RiddhiApril 2, 2018 at 5:05 pm
This is awesome! Good luck with finding the right people to take on this retreat ! Cannot wait to see the amazing content you guys create.
kaptainkennytravelApril 2, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Thank you so much Riddhi! I got your application and I’ve put it into the ‘retreat’ folder where I’ll assess everyone soon. I have a feeling it’ll be the end of May though, not the beginning… just seeing as it’s already April the second! I’ll be in touch with more info once I know it :=)
Ineffable GirlApril 7, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Such a brilliant idea…And Croatia in Spring is absolutely beautiful! Hope it all goes perfectly and surpasses your expectations, and I’ll be sure to apply 🙂
kaptainkennytravelApril 8, 2018 at 10:09 am
Fingers crossed it’s an amazing event full of people with lots of different talent! I can’t wait to learn from everyone 🙂